Thursday, March 18, 2010

Purikura!!!!

Okay so here goes...
I feel I should prepare you for what is about to come your way. The Japanese call it "Purikura" however, I have also heard it been called things such as "Pre- Club". The Americans would know it by the name of "Photo Booth" (on crack!). So basically they are photo booths with amazing effects! For example, since the popular trend among young Japanese girls is to have light light skin and large appearing eyes, these photo booths create that illusion for you. You can even choose how light your skin will appear. You can also choose how large your eyes will look. I think the choices are "large" and "FREAKISHLY LARGE". It's pretty intense! So that's just step one...
Oh, p.s. all the instructions are in Japanese, so it's quite a task for any
foreigners...although I don't think I have seen anyone but young teenage
girls and young Junior High couples in these things. lol
so anyways, now its about the background... there are about 20 different backgrounds you can choose from. Some are themed, some are just colored...
Next is Picture Time! It goes really fast, but they do have funny Japanese girls doing different posses before each new picture in case you need help thinking of a new pose! (Brilliant!)
Okay so I know what you're thinking, "picture time is over, you go outside the booth and wait for your little strip of photos to come out!" NOT QUITE...
This is where the real fun begins! After you exit the photo booth, you head to a computer screen booth where it's time to decorate! That's right, decorate!!!
And I'm not talking about a simple heart border, or antiqued edges... We are talking, massive amounts of clip art, make-up additions, writing tools, background enhancements, you name- they've got it!
So for this portion, you have a set time limit, which makes it a little challenging, because there is just soo much to choose from! When that sad (more like high pitched Japanese girl's) voice initiates the count down it's WILD! You franticly paste and write and clutter as much stuff as possible on your photo and then, before you know it, your once magical electronic pen is now lifeless and dead.
It was a rush, from start to finish and now is the time where you enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Head out of your magical computer booth and wait (like 2 seconds) for your photo creation to appear! It's amazing, you bask in your triumph, but not for too long, because now it's time to have your master pieces sent to your phone! Yep... and not by typing your e-mail.. no, no, such things would be far too primitive. And so in keeping with our high-tech experience of the last umm, lets say 15 minutes, I take out my phone, turn on my "infrared" setting and place it on this scanner that instantly sends a selected picture to my phone data folder! Amazing!
We leave the arcade (where most of these are found) feeling exhilarated! and not only can you admire your creation with your handy little photos - which, by the way, can double as a sticker - you can share them by sending them to friends and family...!
So although it's a little wild and childish, it's a fun time all around!!!
Okay, so I hope that has prepared you for what your are about to see...








3 comments:

  1. Stephany and I tried one of these in Tokyo. When the photos came out I had all of my skin problems sorted out and nice new hair styles. Its a ton of fun and strangely indicative of differences in cultures beauty standards. Korea is also obsessed with photo editing. They photo shopped my visa photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!!! I love it!!! I wanted to take you to one of these, but maybe we will have to go when I come to Korea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete